Joomla 3.8.0 Released
Joomla has released Joomla! 3.8, the latest in the Joomla! 3 series. This new release features over 300 improvements to the popular CMS, with two primary major features aimed at developers: the new routing system and the beginning of a forward compatibility layer with Joomla! 4.0. Additionally, two security issues have been resolved.
And now, the big question is, what is new in Joomla! 3.8?
Here are some of the new features …
- New Routing System - The new routing system gives users more control over their URL structure, including the often requested ability to remove IDs from URLs
- Joomla! 4 Compatibility Layer - The development of Joomla! 4 has made some changes in how the core code is structured by migrating classes to use PHP namespaces. Joomla! 3.8 includes a mapping layer to allow developers to use the older class names while being able to take advantage of the new class name structure.
- Improved Sample Data Installation - It is now possible to install sample data within your site backend after finishing the installation process, allows users to create their own generic data sets or extension developers to provide easy-to-install sample data for their extensions
- Sodium Encryption Support - PHP 7.2 introduces the new sodium extension for processing encrypted data, through a polyfill of this library Joomla! 3.8 makes this new API available for all of our users even before they upgrade to PHP 7.2
- Visit the Joomla! 3.8 site to learn more about this release.
Is your website ready for Joomla! 3.8?
Joomla! 3.8 is a one-click update just like previous 3.x versions.
Before upgrading, it is important to update all of your third party extensions and also to take and test a full backup of your site.
This is also a great time to connect with your hosting company and check your PHP and database versions. We recommend upgrading to PHP 7 or 7.1 as it will bring a considerable speed boost to your site. Further system requirements can be found on the technical requirements page.
As always with new features affecting the structure of your website, we strongly encourage you to test thoroughly in a staging environment and put redirections in place before enabling the modern router on your existing sites.
Security Issues Fixed
- Core - Information Disclosure in LDAP Authentication Plugin (affecting Joomla 1.5.0 - 3.7.5)
- Core - Information Disclosure in com_content Archived Articles Model (affecting Joomla 3.7.0 - 3.7.5)
Visit the Security Centre for more information.