Practical Guide to migrate from J1.5.xx to J3.x
Migrating from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 3.x is a Major Migration!
- Backup the site and restore with Akeebabackup on a local server (we like Uniform Server due to it's ease) or purchase a cheap domain (.info is cheap) and copy it to that domain (preferred and most easy method)
- Make a list of all your extensions: Templates/Components/Modules/Plugins and check which of those you want to keep using, if they have J3.x compatible extensions and/or select alternatives
- Check your content and remove outdated content (note sections will be replaced in Joomla 3.x with a nested category tree)
- Empty all trash (menu/content/modules/etc)
- Update those extensions that are compatible with Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 3.x (examples CB, Mijoshop, Breezingforms)
- Remove all Nonumber extensions and all other extensions that are not compatible with Joomla 3.x including your (club) template (!)
Step I: Upgrade your Joomla 1.5.xx site to Joomlla 1.5.26
Download, extract and upload this package from Joomlacode (you need to login to get it) to your domain with ftp in binary mode and overwrite all files and folders
Make Use the free Akeebabackup
STEP II: Install Joomla 3.x in a sub-directory of your Joomla 1.5.26 installation
do not install sample data!!!
STEP III: Get and Install SP Upgrade
(all the others are inferior imho) and update the settings in the Options/settings tab of the component. Component is well documented . SP Upgrade migrates fully automated without affecting your Joomla present live site!:
- Articles (along with their Sections and Categories)
- Web Links
- News Feeds
Most important with the migration is that you will keep the Same id's - Why is this so important ?
- Google ranking is not affected
- No broken internal links (e.g. within your articles)
- No broken external links. Those are links from other domains to your site
If all is set properly you can select all and hit upgrade --> few minutes later your site is on J3.x --> Backup your site!(Akeebabackup)
Now your site is on Joomla 3.x and you can add your new template, your extensions, setup your navigation etc etc. .
Need our help? See these pages!