Practical Guide to upgrade from 1.6/1/7 to Joomla 2.5
What steps to take in upgrading a Joomla 1.7 site to Joomla 2.5 via the automated upgrade mechanism in Joomla 1.6/1.7?
- In any version of Joomla 1.7 go to Extension Manager
- Here arrived go to Tab "Update"
- In this Tab you will see a button (top right) colored 'green' stating "Purge Cache" Hit that button First since you might see otherwise a message 'no updates available'
- The available updates in Joomla and Extensions will show. Make sure you do Joomla core (it will show Joomla 2.5.0 at this stage) first!.
- Check the box in front of the Joomla 2.5.0 line and hit top right "upgrade"
- Now the system can give you two sorts of output.....A 'successful' message or a lot of errors (do not get afraid or shocked!)
- In Both Cases (!) go to a new Tab you see under the same Extension Manager called "Database" (yes...even if the system states 'successful!'). Now you will either see a message that all is ok or a warning with a list of errors or missing DB entries.
- These we correct now by hitting the "FIX" button located in the Database Tab Top right corner!
If you check now again the Database Tab you will see that all errors have vanished and that it shows now:
Database schema version (in #__schemas): 2.5.0-2012-01-14.
Database driver: mysqli.
62 database changes were checked successfully.
13 database changes did not alter table structure and were skipped.
This means you have fully upgraded to Joomla 2.5.x! Congrats!
Some notes for specific issues happpening:
- If you get errors as described on updating to 2.5, and after you have ran the Database – Fix, it may be a good idea to use the "Discover" option on the Extension Manager to install any Extension that was not installed because of the updating error! (thanks Roar!).
- When your admin icons show vertical after the upgrade please do a full Purge Cache in your system panel, followed by a FULL cleansing of your browser cache. That will resolve the chaos in your admin panel layout.
- When you notice that version info/date/author info are missing from some extensions (for instance "Smart Search") when you review them in the Extension Manager than go to "Manage", click the checkbox in front of the extension and click (in the top right corner) the 'Refresh Cache' button. That will take care of this.
- If you get a "white-screen" after upgrading to Joomla 2.5 check out the error log in the root directory of your Joomla installation. That will tell you which extension is throwing fatal errors. Disable the extension mentioned in the error log and you have your site back on! (inform the extension developer about the error so he/she can correct!).
Need our help? See these pages!